Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cutting Zinias?

I am growing zinnias in pots and they look great so far. Is it possible to cut them in a way that whats left in the pot will regrow more flowers. I would love to cut some of them for vases in my house, just have no idea how/when/where to cut the stem.

Cutting Zinias?
I've found that Zinnias, being annuals, don't re-bloom well. But the sow very easily. I always throw a bunch in my garden every year.





Enjoy them in the pots, or move the pots temporarily inside for a show.





If you like the idea of continual flowers, and lots of flowers for your vases as well - try black-eyed susans. They are perennial. So the patch gets bigger every year. And they bloom from summer all the way through until frost kills them. I can cut and cut and cut the flowers, and the patch just gets more profouse.
Reply:I cut my zinnias where the stem of the flower connects to the next set of leaves. You'll see a tiny set of leaves beginning to form in the crook of the stem. That's the next set of leaves. If that leaves you w/a flower w/too short of a stem, you can take the next set down. Cut off any leaves that would be in the water of your vase to keep the water clean %26amp; make the arrangement last longer.. It depends on the variety of zinnia you have. I always plant "State Fair"--they have nice long stems. Whatever kind you cut, make sure you check the vase once a day for water level--zinnias drink alot!


No comments:

Post a Comment