Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I love the flower zinnia. I'm wondering how and why the blooms differ so much from one plant to another?

One may look like a pom pom and another like a daisy or a mum

I love the flower zinnia. I'm wondering how and why the blooms differ so much from one plant to another?
Some zinnias are double (making them look like mums) and some are single. That is what makes them look so different. Most seed packs come mixed with all kinds of zinnia seed in them. Even the bought flowers come that way too.





Zinnias use to be called "Old Fashions" years and years ago. Don't you just love them. I sure do!!! I had such pretty ones last year, but I have not had such good luck this year. It has been so hot in Louisiana that they have just about burned up. (ME TOO!)





sticks (the gardener)
Reply:Just like many types of flowers, there are many varieties within the zinnia family of flowers. Without getting into the whole Latin name thing, lets just say you can get them in what's called a single (looks like a daisy), a double or a combination (looks more like a pom pom or mum).





Try this website to get more info on them:








www.botany.com/zinnia.html

shoes stock

No comments:

Post a Comment