Saturday, November 19, 2011

Last year I grew Canterbury Bells from seed, this year they hve flowered beautifully. Now they're beginning to

fade. My question is - what do I need to do with biennials so that they'll come back next year? I'd like to cut them down so my zinnias will take over, but I want to make sure they have a chance to reseed. Many thanks!

Last year I grew Canterbury Bells from seed, this year they hve flowered beautifully. Now they're beginning to
I would wait a little for the seed pods to ripen and then cut them off and put them in a paper bag, to allow the pods to split and disgorge the seed. Then sow them in the fall after the zinnias have had their day.





nfd♥
Reply:Biennial by definition basically means only flowering every other year. If you planted one that has flowered this year, you should plant another one next year. This way you will always have one blooming. I do this with all of my biennial's.


I would suggest that you save the seed or just plant your Zinnia's in front of the Canterbury Bells to let them self-seed. Also, you should avoid cutting back the fading foliage of your Canterbury Bells because this is where "fuel" is stored that the plants use to properly overwinter %26amp; give you better growth %26amp; flower production the year after next.


I hope this information helps!


Warm Blessings,


Sheilia


No comments:

Post a Comment