Monday, May 11, 2009

What do I need to use to stop bugs from eating my flower plants?

Something is eating small holes in the leaves of my zinnia plants and dahlias -- among other plants.

What do I need to use to stop bugs from eating my flower plants?
Neem oil concentrate- mix with water and spray- it is an insecticide and fungicide. Does not harm plants, children or pets.





Others include ladybugs (for aphids), diatomaceous earth application (all kinds of pests including slugs), handpicking the bad guys, blasting with water (for plants that do not mind their leaves getting wet).





Companion planting helps certain plants (e.g.grow marigolds with tomato). Herbs like basil, dill, garlic chives help repel certain insects.





Yeast (use beer/yeast with sugar water) traps for snails, slugs (insert saucer with lip at soil level- put some abovementioned liquid in it almost till the top)- slugs drown in it.





Make sure there are no debris (rotting leaves, etc) in the garden to shelter bugs
Reply:If you like the organic way, like I do. I put garlic gloves in each of my garden bed's. Including the veggie patch. it really seem's to keep the bugs out of it.


If you prefer the chemical way, ask a local nursery what to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment